Monday, August 27, 2012

1659 Will of Anthony Gotbed of Combeinteignhead, Devon,


Will of Anthony Gotbed, 23 June 1559, P.C.C.  GS film # 92261.

            IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN the three and twentieth day of June in the yeare of our Lord God One Thousand six hundred fiftie nine I Anthony Gotbedd thelder of Combintinhed in the County of Devon yeoman weake of Bodie but of good and perfect memorery blessed be God make and ordaine this my last will and testament in manner and forme following (videticet[?]) First I commend my Soule into the hands of Almighty God my Maker hoping assuredly through the only merritts of Jesus Christ my Saviour to be pertaker of life everlastin and my body by way of dewnt[?] and orderly buriall unto the Earth from whence I came Item I give and bequeath to the poore of the parish of Combintinhead five shillings to be paid by my Executore hereafter named att theire disposing within tenn dayes after my decease Item I give and bequeath to Jane Mitchell my sister Twentie shillings Item I give and bequeath to Barbarah Luddimer my daughter six pounds Item I give and bequeath to Mary Wilking my daughter six pounds Item I give and bequeath to Julian Gotbed my daughter in Lawe fortie shillings Item I give and bequeath to her daughter Ann fortie shillings and to her daughter Mary forty shillings and to her daughter Jane five pounds Item I give and bequeath to Joane Gotbed my daughter in Lawe twenty shillings Item I give and bequeath to John Gotbed and Joane Credener[?] twentie shillings a peece Item I give and bequeath to Rosamond Jewell twentie shillings Item I give and bequeath to John Wilkings's three children to each of them twentie shillings Item I give and bequeath to Abraham Laddimer the younger's three children to each of them twentie shillings Item I give and bequeath to William Woolcombe two shillings and six pence Item all the rest of my Goods and chattells moveable and unmoveable quick and dead I give and bequeath to these and[?] my two Grandchildren Anthonie Gotbed and Gregory Gotbead and them I make and ordaine to be my whole and sole executors is yn this my last will & testament.  In witnesse whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and seale yeoven the day and yeare first above written Anthonie Gotbed   Sealed and signed in the presence of us Sol: Crideaux  John Shaplay

THIS WILL was proved att LONDON the thirtieth day of the moneth of September in the yeare of our Lord God One thousand six hundred fiftie and nine before the Judges for probate of Wills and granting Administrations lawfully authorized by the oathes of Anthonie Gotbed and Gregory Gotbed the Grandchildren Executors named in the above written last will and testament of the deceased To whome Administration of all and singular the goods shalleth and debts of the said deceased now graunted and comitted they being first legally sworne by vertue of a commission truly and faythfully to administer the same.
-----------------------
[Typed from a photocopy by Greg Ramstedt 10 December 1989.]
{A:\GTBD1659}
[I first learned of my Gotbed ancestors from my cousin R. N. “Dick” Wills in 1977.  He also descends from the Rendells and Gotbeds. Many of their gravestone can be seen in the churchyard at Combeinteignhead.  See my submission to Rootsweb’s WorldConnect pedigrees:

No comments:

Post a Comment